It happens with most of us: you come home from a hectic day at work or shopping with the dirt and grime all over your face, you just reach out to makeup wipes or liquid removers as they are very convenient to use, but do you know they can actually irritate your eyes and hurt your skin over time?
To quote Dr. Maryann Mikhail, a New York-based dermatologist: “Since you’re not rinsing away the active cleansing ingredients in wipes, the residues that are left behind may expose your skin to high concentrations of solublizers, surfactants and emulsifiers.” Moreover, they can dry out your skin, and especially are irritating for people with dry or sensitive skin. Also, majority of the store-bought wipes or liquid makeup removers contain alcohol, which is not good for your skin.
I have some good news for you. Your kitchen is full of natural ingredients that can be used as great natural makeup removers. They can remove even the most stubborn long wear products and are safe and kind to your skin, rather they will leave your skin smooth and glowing.
All Natural Ingredient Makeup Removers
Here are my favorite natural ways to remove makeup and take off all the eye shadow and eyeliner using “natural ingredient makeup removers” that you didn’t even know were in your kitchen – ah, without using harsh chemicals!
Try these amazing natural ways to get rid of makeup, which can make even the sensitive skin extra happy, and happy skin makes a happy lady, right?
1. Cucumber As A Makeup Remover And Skin Toner: They have great anti-inflammatory and oil-busting properties, which make them ideal to use as makeup remover cum toner. Because of there anti-inflammatory properties, they are great help to soothe irritated skin or acne-prone skin as well. There are many ways to use it in removing dirt, grime and makeup from your face:
(i) Take one cucumber and blend it into a paste. Use it to cleanse your face. If you have tenacious makeup to remove, add a little bit of milk or olive oil to the paste.
(ii) Take out juice from some cucumber and use it to remove makeup and brighten dull skin. It is refreshing and cooling, good for oily skin.
(iii) Another way is to use cucumber slices. Although they’re more known for de-puffing eyes, they’re also an amazing way to take off makeup in a natural way (and you can relax laying on your couch with cucumber slices on your eyes.)
2. Use Actual Milk As Natural Cleanser: Plain real milk from your fridge works just as well as store bought facial milk to remove makeup naturally. Simply dab a cotton ball with raw milk and gently rub it all over your face and eyelids. While it takes off all your makeup and refresh your skin, the lactic acid contained in raw milk will gently exfoliate your skin as well. The fat and proteins contained in milk, particularly whole milk, helps to hydrate and enable your skin to retain moisture. Remember to rinse your face completely with clean water afterwards; your skin will feel cleansed and voila so smooth.
Another way is to take about a teaspoon of almond oil and add it to a small bowl of raw milk, mix well and rub it all over your face with a washcloth or cotton ball. It will wipe away all dirt, grime and makeup from your face, leaving it refreshed.
Natural Beauty Tip: For dry skin, use raw whole milk; and for oily skin, you should use raw milk without or lesser fat.
3. NATURAL OIL CLEANSER: Majority of the store-bought cleanser strip the natural oils off your skin, leading to one of these two things: either your skin will get very dry and need to be treated with a topical moisturizer, or it begins over-producing oils, turning your skin extra oily. Also a lots of the makeup removers on the market these days pride themselves on being “oil-free,” but in reality they can damage your skin, causing premature aging. Oils in the skin are necessary to maintain it looking full of youth, supple, and vibrating. So, natural oils while cleansing your skin will keep it away from over-drying. We recommend following natural oils for removing effectively all types of makeup, from the darkest mascara to the most pigmented lipstick.
(i) Coconut oil For Dry Skin: This versatile oil is good to use on dry skin for removing makeup and moisturizing the skin at the same time. Place a small amount of the oil between your palms and allow the warmth from your hands naturally melt it into liquid form. Rub the liquid gently all over your face to dissolve and remove the foundation or concealer, then wipe off everything using a cotton washcloth or cotton swab. Rinse your face with water to remove any residue lying on your skin. Oh! Nicely cleansed, but not stripped, skin.
Natural Beauty Tip: Though coconut oil is good for skin, it doesn’t suit everyone. It’s comedogenic in nature, meaning it can clog pores— so, if you have skin conditions such as Keratosis Pilaris, eczema or psoriasis or have acne prone skin then you shouldn’t use it.
(ii) Extra Virgin Olive Oil: It has skin hydrating properties and acts as a perfect makeup remover for dry or sensitive skin. You can mix rose water with it to provide a pleasant fragrance.
(iii) Jojoba oil: This oil has properties to soothe, cleanse and lift away impurities and makeup from your skin. To remove makeup, mix 2 parts of water to 1 part of Jojoba oil and wow! Say good-bye to those stubborn mascaras and eyeliners.
Natural Beauty Tip: To remove makeup from sensitive eye-area, you can also try mixing it with almond oil.
(iv) Grape Seed Oil: This natural oil can be used to remove makeup. Dip a little cotton swab into grape seed oil and use it gently to remove makeup away and freshen-up your face. Rinse with water afterwards.
4. Yogurt To Sooth Your Skin And Remove Makeup: Another natural ingredient from your kitchen that can work wonders for your skin such as moisturizing it and relieving sunburns. Take a clean cotton swab, dip it into some plain yogurt, rub it all over your face in a circular motion, and then rinse off with cool water or cleanse your face with washcloth.
5. Avocado For Removing Even Stubborn Eye Makeup: Avocado oil is a common ingredient in many store-bought natural makeup removers. If you don’t have avocado oil lying in your house— using actual avocado instead is a great idea, particularly removing eye makeup. To use, take a Q-tip and lightly rub it on the green flesh of a ripe avocado, targeting to scrape the surface for the oils, picking up nourishing oils (no need to take out any chunks). Use the oil to lift away caked mascara, eyeliner or shadow, at the same time nourish the area around your eyes with goodness of omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamins A, D and E found in the avocado oil. It is easy to rinse off afterwards, so won’t block pores, making it perfect choice for people with sensitive or acne-prone skin.
6. Banana – Moisturizing Natural Ingredient For Removing Makeup: This trusted skin friendly fruit is a great way to remove makeup and at the same time nourish your skin. Just mash up a fully ripe banana into a paste like banana mask, apply it all over your face, allowing it to sit for 5 minutes. The enzymes contained in the banana will lift away makeup, dirt and grime from deep down in your skin pores. Rinse afterwards and use a warm washcloth to wipe your face, leaving smooth, clean skin that’s well hydrated.
7. Quick Natural Makeup Remover: If you want the easiest natural way to remove makeupwithout harming your skin, try baby oil – it works amazingly! And obviously, it’s good for sensitive skin and removing eye makeup too!
Hey, are you using a natural ingredient to remove make up? If yes, please share your tip with us under the comments below.