There is only one thing we all want when the Golden Slipper is run – to find the winner. You’ll have a better chance of winning the Golden Slipper if you follow our Golden Slipper tips. Whether you’re a carnival punter or just a time-poor punter, we offer a professional suite of tips that is perfect for you.
We hope the punters can achieve success again in 2023! Make sure you check out our Golden Slipper betting information before putting your bets on. Rather than wasting any more time, let’s talk about some considerations to consider when finding Golden Slipper tips.
How to Tip a Golden Slipper Winner
- Two-year-olds usually enter the Golden Slipper Stakes via the traditional lead-up races – the Reisling Stakes for fillies and the Todman Stakes, both held a fortnight before the Slipper. A total of 14 winners have been produced in the Todman Stakes. Among the 13 Golden Slipper Stakes winners from 2009 to 2022, 11 came from the above-mentioned races.
- Catbird (1999), the last winner of the Golden Slipper after a non-Sydney lead-up.
- During the period 2009 – 2022, 12 of the 13 Golden Slipper winners ran first or second in their lead-up races. There was one exception in 2021, when Stay Inside won after finishing fourth in the Todman. Since 1980, 28 last-start winners have been recorded.
- There has never been a horse that has finished worse than 4th in their final lead-up to the Golden Slipper Stakes in over 30 years.
- A juvenile has only taken out the Golden Slipper Stakes first-up once in over three decades, and it was Sebring (2008) who did it after a six-week break after his previous attempt.
- There is no doubt that fillies are worth considering as they have won the Golden Slipper plenty of times since 2010, including Crystal Lily (2010), Overreach (2013), Mossfun (2014), She Will Reign (2017), Estijaab (2018) and Kiamichi (2019) and Fireburn (2022). There have been 29 fillies to win the Golden Slipper in total.
- There have only been two horses to triumph off a one week back-up since 2005: Kiamichi (2019) and Stratum (2005).
- There are five Blue Diamond winners who have won the Slipper – John’s Hope (1972), Manikato (1978), Bounding Away (1986), Courtza (1989) and Sepoy (2011).
- The three winners of the Slipper for the Magic Millions are Dance Hero (2004), Phelan Ready (2009), and Capitalist (2016).
Golden Slipper Barriers
In terms of wins, barrier 1 has had the most success with nine wins. A wide barrier has dominated the honor roll since 2004 after being an absolute death sentence for horses in the decade between 2004 and 2013. Between 2004 and 2013, just one horse won from a barrier wider than eight.
The only winners from a single-digit barrier since 2013 are Stay Inside (barrier three), Fireburn (barrier two) and Capitalist (barrier two). Mossfun and She Will Reign started from gate 11, Estijaab and Kiamichi started from 14, while Vancouver won from 16. The 12th barrier saluted Farnan.
There are so many other factors that have to be considered when predicting the Golden Slipper winner. There are some that we listed above, but there are so many other things that must be considered. While we believe we have addressed all the most important factors to consider when finding Golden Slipper tips, if we have overlooked others, please let us know.